Based on direction from the Board of County Commissioners, the Commercial-Locational Criteria study is now part of the ongoing Future Land Use (FLU) Section Update for the Unincorporated Hillsborough County Comprehensive Plan. The Future Land Use Section Update is tentatively scheduled for public hearings in early 2024.
The purpose of this study is to provide an analysis of the current Commercial-Locational Criteria and analyze best practices resulting in updated policy for the Unincorporated Hillsborough Comprehensive Plan Future Land Use Element. This study will update the frameworks for allowing non-residential development in residential land use categories and balance the changing demands for retail and non-residential uses in residential areas based upon the continued need to prevent strip commercial along major roadways.
Scope of the Study
- Evaluate the current structure of the Commercial-Locational Criteria (CLC) of the Future Land Use Element and the Livable Communities Element in the Unincorporated Hillsborough County Comprehensive Plan
- Obtain meaningful input from community stakeholders
- Review best practices for commercial development in residential areas
- Study Kickoff
- Began Fall 2021
- Public Outreach
- Fall 2021 – Fall 2022
- Comprehensive Plan Policy Recommendations
- Jan. 26th Board of County Commissioners Presentation
- Planning Commission December 12th Presentation
- Public Hearings in January 2024
Your perspective will greatly benefit the potential success of the Commercial-Locational Criteria project. Your input is important to the success of this study, please check out the opportunities below.
Sign up to receive email updates on the Future Land Use Section update.
Frequently Asked Questions
Past Presentations & Events
Community Meeting #6 Recording
*Recording password: CLC_CommMeeting#4