December 2021 – The Florida Department of Transportation (FDOT) has requested $3.5 million in Transportation Improvement Program (TIP) amendments. The Hillsborough TPO will consider nine TIP amendments to fund projects on I-75, I-4, State Road 60, US 301, and South Dale Mabry Highway. The projects would involve safety and operational adjustments, lighting projects, railroad crossing alterations, and pedestrian safety modifications. FDOT made the request, and if approved, the TPO would add the amendments to the 2021/22 – 2025/26 TIP to document the addition of state and/or federal funds.
The amendments include two projects to add auxiliary lanes on northbound and southbound I-75 between the I-4 and Fowler interchanges, improving safety by reducing the need to merge. Two other projects improve merging conditions along I-4, adding an auxiliary lane westbound from east of the Seffner weigh station to west of McIntosh Road, and eastbound from east of Bethlehem Road to west of Branch Forbes Road. FDOT anticipates it will not need to buy land for these auxiliary lane projects.
Additional projects from the amendments include:
- Street lighting upgrades on State Road 60 south of Plant City, from west of State Road 39 to west of Clarence Gordon Jr. Boulevard
- Street lighting upgrades on US 301 in the West Brandon area, from west of Crescent Park Drive to north of Elm Fair Boulevard
- Street lighting upgrades on US 301 in the Thonotosassa area, from north of Hampton Oaks Parkway to west of Jackson Road
- A railroad crossing project on State Road 60 south of Plant City, east of Clarence Gordon Jr. Boulevard, that involves the replacement of the crossing and a sidewalk over the crossing
- The installation of pedestrian-activated hybrid beacons at crosswalks on South Dale Mabry Highway north of MacDill Air Force Base, at West Mango, West Wisconsin, and West Pearl Avenues, to enhance pedestrian safety
The TPO will consider the amendments on Jan. 11, 2022, at 10 a.m. The public can comment on the amendments in advance of the TPO Board Meeting through January 10, 2022, via email to firstname.lastname@example.org; mail to Hillsborough TPO, Attn: Cheryl Wilkening, 601 E. Kennedy Boulevard, 18th Floor, Tampa, FL 33602; voicemail beginning one week in advance of the meeting to 813-272-5940 (press 9); or social media by posting on the TPO Facebook page.