January 2022 – The Hillsborough Transportation Planning Organization (TPO) passed nine Transportation Improvement Program (TIP) amendments to fund projects on I-75, I-4, State Road 60, US 301, and South Dale Mabry Highway.
Requested by the Florida Department of Transportation (FDOT), the projects would involve safety and operational adjustments, lighting projects, railroad crossing alterations, and pedestrian safety modifications.
The unanimous vote will now allow the TPO to add the amendments to the 2021/22 – 2025/26 Transportation Improvement Program, documenting the addition of state and/or federal funds.
Projects from the amendments include:
- Two projects to add auxiliary lanes on northbound and southbound I-75 between the I-4 and Fowler interchanges, improving safety by reducing the need to merge
- Two projects to improve merging conditions along I-4, adding an auxiliary lane westbound from east of the Seffner weigh station to west of McIntosh Road, and eastbound from east of Bethlehem Road to west of Branch Forbes Road
- Street lighting upgrades on State Road 60 south of Plant City, from west of State Road 39 to west of Clarence Gordon Jr. Boulevard
- Street lighting upgrades on US 301 in the West Brandon area, from west of Crescent Park Drive to north of Elm Fair Boulevard
- Street lighting upgrades on US 301 in the Thonotosassa area, from north of Hampton Oaks Parkway to west of Jackson Road
- A railroad crossing project on State Road 60 south of Plant City, east of Clarence Gordon Jr. Boulevard, that involves the replacement of the crossing and a sidewalk over the crossing
- The installation of pedestrian-activated hybrid beacons at crosswalks on South Dale Mabry Highway north of MacDill Air Force Base, at West Mango, West Wisconsin, and West Pearl Avenues, to enhance pedestrian safety
The TPO passed the amendments at its monthly board meeting on January 11, 2022. To review the amendments, visit https://bit.ly/3FoqCTJ. For inquiries, contact Connor MacDonald at firstname.lastname@example.org or 813-946-5334.