October 2017 – In support of Plant City’s future growth and economic development, the Hillsborough MPO hired an engineering firm to look at extending two roads eastward: Sam Allen Road and Rice Road. These extensions would provide new east-west routes between County Line Road and existing roads in Plant City such as Park Road and Coronet Road. The City anticipates residential development near Sam Allen Road, and commercial/industrial development near Rice Road.
The route options can be seen on the project web page. This study documents the Purpose and Need for each project and evaluates the route options, looking at cost, environmental impacts, and how much right-of-way would be needed. This will streamline the Project Development & Environment (PD&E) phase when funding becomes available for either project.
More than 50 people attended a Community Outreach Open House event held in Plant City on June 15th. Most attendees provided comments on the route options.
The study’s findings will be presented at the following public meetings:
- MPO Citizens Advisory Committee – October 11th at 9am, 601 E Kennedy Blvd, 18th floor
- Plant City Planning Board – October 12th at 8am, 302 W. Reynolds St. Plant City
- MPO Technical Advisory Committee – October 23rd at 1:30pm, 601 E Kennedy Blvd, 18th floor
- Plant City City Commission – October 23rd at 7:30pm, 302 Reynolds St. Plant City
- MPO Policy Committee – October 31st at 9am, 601 E Kennedy Blvd, 18th floor
Funding for roadway design and construction has not been identified. For more information or to share your thoughts, contact MPO Senior Planner Bud Whitehead, email@example.com, 813-273-3774 ext. 313.