The Community Vulnerability Study will aid Hillsborough County with meeting local, state and federal planning requirements for the continuous threat of flooding and longitudinal sea level rise with a focus on understanding the consequences, impacts, strategies and implementation plans needed to not only meet regulatory requirements but to bolster preparations to save life and property in future times of crisis. Multi-disciplinary consultant services for this project are provided by the University of South Florida’s (USF) Florida Center for Community Design and Research and the USF College of Public Health.
The objectives for this project include:
- Meet essential planning and policy requirements for all Florida coastal communities from the Perils of Flood Act (Florida Senate Bill 1094).
- Meet planning requirements for Florida Administrative Code 27P-22:004. Local Mitigation Strategy reporting annual changes that address at a minimum, changes to the hazard assessment, project priority list, critical facilities lists, repetitive-loss list, and flood mitigation county maps.
- Leverage mix of faculty and student resources to maximize innovative service delivery with optimal quality of deliverables for public officials.
- Develop robust new set of emergency and disaster management risk mitigation plans to mitigate the risk of loss of life and property in the event of varying levels of flooding and storm water intrusion.
- Account for population health and wellbeing for the county’s most vulnerable populations to include: elderly, disabled, homeless, socioeconomically disadvantaged, disabled veterans, children, and refugees.
- Engage other Hillsborough County stakeholders in the planning process.
- Consider potential impacts to Hurricane Evacuation Levels A through E and Inland Flooding Areas (areas that fall within the 100-year floodplain but outside the Coastal Planning Area).
For more information contact Shawn College at firstname.lastname@example.org or 813-273-3774 x367.
Hillsborough Community Vulnerability Study:
Awards and Recognition:
Your comments are welcome and encouraged. Please send them to email@example.com.