The Hillsborough TPO passed a Health in All Policies (HiAP) Resolution in 2019 and has since made strides to integrate health concerns and priorities into all area of the transportation planning process, with the recognition that transportation does more than just move us around; transportation is a critical factor that influences people’s health and the health of a community. That investment in sidewalks, bike lanes, trails, public transit, and other infrastructure that supports physical activity can result in improvements to individuals’ health and decreased health care costs.
In support of the HiAP, the TPO has completed a Health Impact Assessment of the complete street projects in the 2045 Long-Range Transportation Plan. The Final products can be found below:
- Create a baseline of relative health conditions in Hillsborough County
- Identify 5 sets of Complete Streets Treatments in 5 Different Context Zones
- Apply treatments to top 350 Miles of Severe Crash Roadways in Hillsborough County as stated in LRTP
- Determine to what extent Complete Streets treatments have an impact on chronic disease risk factors
- Inform future TPO projects priorities and planning outcomes
- Create implementable design options that improve health outcomes